Wednesday 24 December 2008

Albion

It's always a wrench, leaving the wench. I long for London, feel her loss keenly. How I prosper here, and grow, and learn. Go stand before Holbein's portrait of the More family in the National Portrait Gallery - some of my ancestors, look at Margaret Roper, and understand. How strongly connected I am. The blood is thick.
An espresso at the Monmouth Street Coffee House (the best friendliest coffee in the world), a croissant at Maison Bertaux, then bumping into someone I know on Charing Cross Road, standing on a traffic island and sharing our stories. Buying books in Foyles, holding your hand in Russell Square. Catching a train at Kings Cross, a night beside the obdidian black river under the fullest moon.
Dancing with my dear friends. The passion of strangers. Turner sunrise. Your depth and hidden time. Every soul here a metaphor. Hawks, rats, pigeons, foxes.The lions in the square, where the bones of mammoth and sabre tooth tiger were uncovered when Nelsons Column was built. A gunner on the Victory, the cabin boy on the Bounty.
And now, my friends and family and colleagues : Richard, Youth, Megan, Adrian, Tom, Sam, Phoebe, Kasper, Christine, Malcolm, Roger, Anita, Johnie, Laura, Peter, Martyn, Knock, Alex, Chester, Rob, Claire, Ludevine, Isabel, Isis, Balin, Jay the tailor, Robert, Ted,Mog, Barnaby, Simon, Mel, Catherine, Michelle D, Bill, Phil, Milton, Ross, Andy, Nick, Emily, Michelle K, Paul, Guy, Stephen, Jenny, Jonathan, Peter, Gordon, Ed, Liz, Kate, Sarah, Richard, Leah, Charlie, Lisa, Catherine H, Mike E, Tanya, Peter D, Dom, Tracey, Nicki, Khalid, Becky TPY, ....and those I do not yet know or never will, but who have precipitated something.
The music - Killing Joke ( at last the circle complete again, Honour the Fire!), Transmission, Subsonar, NIN , The Orb, all-nighters at Gaz's Rocking Blues, The Webb Sisters (I have kissed angels), Bond, The Futureheads, What the Folk, Fireman ....there is never enough music....
I hope to see you all again, somewhere, somehow.
As Francis Bacon once said "Have we said enough? I think we've said too much! HAHA..

No comments:

Post a Comment